The Manufacturing of Structural Steel Shapes
Covered in this session will be a basic overview of modern steelmaking processes involved in the production of W, MC, C, M, L, S, and piling shapes. Topics include:
- Electric arc furnace operations
- Ladle metallurgy furnace operations
- Continuous casting
- Rolling operations
- Testing and metallurgy
This presentation was given as the second of eight sessions of Night School 18: Steel Construction: From the Mill to Topping Out.
You can find other sessions from this Night School in the Education Archives at the following links.
- Session 1: Introduction to the Steel Construction Process: The Team Behind the Building
- Session 3: Steel Fabrication: A Virtual, Detailed Tour of the Steel Fabrication Process
- Session 4: Connection Design as the Fabricator's Representative
- Session 5: It Doesn't Get Built Without the Erector
- Session 6: Erection Engineering: Stability During Construction
- Session 7: Field Fixes and Solutions
- Session 8: Quality Control and Quality Assurance
You must purchase and pass a quiz to receive a PDH certificate for this course.
- Date: 10/22/2018
- Duration: 1.5 Hours
- PDH Credits: 1.5
Jim Schoen and Shane Vernon, PE