Modern Steel is written by the structural steel industry for the structural steel industry. Editorial contributors include structural engineers, fabricators, architects, contractors and product manufacturers, as well as AISC staff. Our combined voice tells steel success stories, offers practical advice and design tips, discusses innovative ideas and forward-thinking concepts and promotes useful products and technologies—all in an effort to improve and expand designing and building with domestically fabricated structural steel. Simply put, Modern Steel is the voice of and for fabricated structural steel.
We encourage bylined feature articles in the form of practical technical advice, project-related stories and other ideas that are relevant to our readers. Submissions should be 1,000 to 1,500 words in length. The chosen topic should be discussed in terms of how it relates to the structural steel design, detailing, fabrication and erection communities. Technical articles should offer explanations, discussions or practical “how-to” information. Examples of past articles are available at www.modernsteel.com/archives. All contributions can and will be edited.
We welcome construction shots, finished photography, connection/detail drawings, 3D models, floor plans and renderings—any visual elements that help tell your story. Images should be 300 dpi or higher and captions and photographer credits are appreciated. Materials should be sent to Geoff Weisenberger at firstname.lastname@example.org, and we will send you a photo release form to sign and return.
Project articles should attempt to address the following:
- Identify the greatest architectural, engineering, fabrication and erection challenges for the project. What were the solutions? How were they implemented?
- What was the most interesting thing about the project? What made it unique from a structural steel standpoint? This could range from a signature or first-of-its-kind assembly to an unusually tight job site to a particularly complex or unusual connection.
- How did the use of steel impact the schedule or improve the constructability of the project?
- Who was the team for this project, from the project owner to the steel detailer? Modern Steel celebrates successful steel projects, and we strive to recognize the team.
- What is the takeaway for the readers? What can they learn from your article?