National Steel Bridge Alliance
Sewalls Falls Bridge
Merit Award Winner—Medium Span
Crossing the Merrimack River, the Sewalls Falls Bridge is a vital link to the local four-season recreational area. Designed to last the next 100 years, the bridge pays homage to the 100-year-old truss bridge that it replaced by repurposing a number of the original bridge's truss sections into the new Heritage Park.
“Integrating a bridge into the environment is a big challenge,” said Amber Blanchard, PE, Minnesota Department of Transportation, a judge in the competition. "The project team accepted that challenge and pulled it off really well."
Prize Bridge Information
- Year Awarded: 2018
- Location: Concord, NH
- Award Class: Medium Span
- Designer/EOR: McFarland Johnson
- Fabricator: Casco Bay Steel Structures, Inc. (AISC Member/AISC Certified)
- Owner: City of Concord, New Hampshire
- General Contractor: E.D. Swett, Inc.
- Detailer: Tensor Engineering (AISC Member)