In This Section
Apartments and Condominiums
Structural steel framing achieves low floor-to-floor solutions with ideal bay sizes for apartments and condominiums.
Structural steel framing has long been recognized as a high-strength, dimensionally predictable, rapidly erected framing material. The selection of a structural steel framing system for a multi-story residential project provides significant benefits to the project, including:
- Low floor-to-floor heights and maximized floor-to-ceiling heights using steel framing elements and thin-floor systems
- Flexible spaces thanks to column-free areas-ideal for amenities and a mixture of unit types (link to space utilization page)
- Enhanced framing quality through the use of a long-lasting, durable, high-quality material fabricated off-site to tight tolerances (Quality page link)
- Adaptiveness, as a steel framing system is simpler to expand or remodel (Adaptability page link)
- Reduced foundation loads, column footprint and overall project costs thanks to steel's lightweight properties (Comparison of other material link)
- Earlier building occupancy thanks to quick erection, which reduces overall on-site construction, labor and associated time and costs (link to Schedule page)
Structural steel framing systems are competitive with alternative framing materials -- with the "sweet spot" for buildings five stories and above. Explore the following Multifamily framing concepts to find the best solution for your next project.
- Apartment and Condo Case Studies:
- Erie on the Park, Chicago IL (Conventional, Joists)
- 156 W Superior St, Chicago IL (Conventional)
- Highline 23, New York NY (In wall beam, SPSW)
- Macallen Building Condominiums, Boston MA (Staggered Truss)
- 2040 Market, Philadelphia PA (Adaptive Reuse, Integrity Wall, Joists)
- Troy Boston, Boston MA (Girder-Slab)
- L.A. Live Hotel & Residences, Los Angeles CA (Conventional, SPSW)
- Meridian Residential, Newport Beach CA (ConXTech)
- Architectural Record, August 2015: Achieving Higher Quality in High-Density Residential
- Projects Gallery
- Innovative systems in structural steel
Still need help?
The Steel Solutions Center is for people who need technical assistance, innovative solutions, or tools to make structural steel design even easier.