In This Section
Structural steel framing systems satisfy current healthcare requirements while providing flexibility to meet future demands
Health care facilities require sophisticated structural systems to support the equipment that addresses needs of today's patients and provides flexibility for future advances in care and technology. Structural steel framing systems provide cost effective solutions while maintaining maximum flexibility for future structural modifications.
Structural Steel is the market leader for low rise and high rise healthcare construction. Steel continues to be the material of choice for the following reasons:
- Flexible spaces thanks to long, column-free areas
- Earlier building occupancy thanks to quick erection, which reduces overall on-site construction, labor and associated time and costs
- Adaptability, as a steel framing system is simpler to expand or remodel to accommodate evolving patient-care needs
- Enhanced stiffness that easily meets the strict vibration and floor levelness requirements of healthcare equipment
- Superior seismic design capabilities and technologies
- Sustainable construction using a fully recycled, locally supplied material while reducing construction waste
- Performance-based solutions for fire protection that focus on safe, economical design
- Blast and progressive collapse solutions using new connection and detailing techniques
- Healthcare Structure Successes:
- Market Insights on Steel and Healthcare (MSC Article - 2010)
Steel Solutions Center
The Steel Solutions Center is for people who need technical assistance, innovative solutions, or tools to make structural steel design even easier.