Made in America
Structural Steel is Produced and Fabricated in America
American structural steel supports American workers, American businesses, and the American economy.
U.S. structural steel is made by American workers:
- More than a dozen mills throughout the U.S. produce various structural shapes and plates.
- There are more than 1,000 AISC full-member fabrication shops across the country, the vast majority of which are family businesses.
- One American job is created for every 45 tons of structural steel produced, fabricated, and erected in the United States. AISC estimates that the volume of U.S. shipments of fabricated structural steel in 2017 was approximately 3.5 million tons. That's a total of nearly 80,000 jobs!
- These workers provide steel for more than 8,000 projects annually across the United States.
U.S. structural steel is a locally sourced and recycled material:
- American structural steel is made of steel scrap collected in the U.S.
- The industry average for recycled content in domestic structural steel is over 90%, the highest of any building framing material.
- Nearly all American structural steel (98%) is captured at the end of its life and recycled into new American steel products.
- A five-story steel-framed office building uses 500 tons of American structural steel; this is equivalent to 360 shredded automobiles, 65 tons of curbside recycling, 79 tons of industrial scrap, and 122 old appliances.
U.S. structural steel industry meets domestic demand:
- Structural steel is currently the leading structural framing material for buildings in the United States, with a 46% market share for 2017 for non-residential and multi-story residential construction. The market share for the closest
competing material—reinforced concrete—is only 34%, indicating a strong market preference for structural steel.
- American steel mills have the capacity to produce more than 9 million tons of structural steel each year.
- Approximately 3.5 million tons of structural steel were used in the U.S. in 2017.
- Existing American structural steel manufacturers can easily meet all domestic demand.
Still need help?
The Steel Solutions Center is for people who need technical assistance, innovative solutions, or tools to make structural steel design even easier.