National Steel Bridge Alliance
BNSF Railway Company, Bridge 482.1
Merit Award Winner - Reconstructed
BNSF's rail bridge 482.1 proves accelerated bridge construction (ABC) isn't always about building new structures. Simultaneously sliding in a new superstructure while removing an existing 339-ft truss span was one of many challenges overcome by using ABC techniques.
“Simultaneously lowering an existing span while sliding the new span into position demonstrated innovative ways to implement accelerated bridge construction using steel framing,” said Michael Culmo, PE, CME Engineering, a judge in the competition.
Prize Bridge Information
- Year Awarded: 2018
- Location: West Memphis, AR
- Award Class: Reconstructed
- Designer/EOR: HNTB Corporation
- Fabricator: Delong’s Inc. (AISC Member/AISC Certified)
- Owner: BNSF Railway Company
- General Contractor: Kraemer North America
- Detailer: Delong’s Inc. (AISC Member/AISC Certified)