National Steel Bridge Alliance
Fort Street Bridge
Merit Award Winner – Movable
A record-setting, single-leaf bascule bridge proves innovation can also be economical. The Fort Street Bridge, a 176-ft bascule span in Detroit, is the heaviest bascule leaf in the world and second largest by deck area. It is also one of the most efficient to open due to the rolling-lift design.
“The project sets a record for a single-leaf bascule bridge while the counterweight structure creates a unique and visually striking bridge for the community,” said Dominique Shannon, PE, Kansas Department of Transportation, a judge in the competition.
Prize Bridge Information
- Year Awarded: 2018
- Location: Detroit, MI
- Award Class: Movable Span
- Designer/EOR: Hardesty & Hanover
- Fabricator: Steward Machine Co., Inc. (AISC Member/AISC Certified)
- Owner: Michigan Department of Transportation
- General Contractor: Toebe Construction, LLC
- Detailer: Tenca Steel Detailing, Inc. (AISC Member)