National Steel Bridge Alliance
National Award Winner – Movable Bridge
Working on a project site about the size of two football fields was just one of the challenges for the team working on the Gut Bridge. A double counterweight design allowed the structure to fit within the site while blending seamlessly into the surrounding town.
“A beautiful bridge and an elegant solution. The use of the double counterweight was a very creative way to save space and provide a solution that fits the site while providing functionality,” said Frank Russo, PE, PhD, Michael Baker International, a judge in the competition.
Prize Bridge Information
- Year Awarded: 2018
- Location: South Bristol, ME
- Award Class: Movable Span
- Designer/EOR: Hardesty & Hanover
- Fabricator: Steward Machine Co., Inc. (AISC Member/AISC Certified)
- Owner: Maine Department of Transportation
- General Contractor: Cianbro Corporation
- Detailer: Steward Machine Co., Inc. (AISC Member/AISC Certified)