Seismic Design in Steel -- Concepts and Examples (Part 4): Buildings (R4)
This course is intended to provide engineers with guidance on applying the AISC seismic design requirements, correctly and efficiently, on typical projects in regions of moderate or high seismicity.
Part 4 includes:
- Presentation of the formal relationship of codes in the US.
- Explanation of the basic concepts employed in code- seismic design, such as seismic design category, maximum considered earthquake, importance factor, etc.
- Explanation of general analysis and design requirements; discussion of detailed systems (designed using the AISC Seismic Provisions) and non-detailed systems (designed using only the AISC Specification)
- Treatment of wind-vs.-seismic comparison issues; discussion of irregularities
- Discussion of issues related to base plates
- Discussion of issues related to diaphragms, including the alternative design procedures in ASCE 7 2016
This course is based on a past AISC Live Webinar series and Night School program.
You must purchase and pass a quiz to receive a PDH certificate for this course.
- Date: 3/12/2018
- PDH Credits: 1.5
Rafael Sabelli, SE