Seismic Design in Steel -- Concepts and Examples (Part 6): Building Analysis and Diaphragm Design (L2)
This 8-part course is intended to provide engineers with guidance on applying the AISC seismic design requirements, correctly and efficiently, on typical projects in regions of moderate or high seismicity. Parts 1-4 focus on seismic design concepts. Parts 5-8 go through four distinct parts of a seismic design example for a low-rise building.
Part 6 includes:
- Review of analysis types and applicability
- Presentation of structural model, including moment releases and effective stiffness
- Discussion of second-order effects in the analysis
- Presentation of drift calculation and check
- Determination of building-analysis forces, including via semi-rigid diaphragm modeling
- Discussion of capacity-design forces
- Design of members at diaphragm openings
This course is based on a past AISC Live Webinar series and Night School program.
You must purchase and pass a quiz to receive a PDH certificate for this course.
You can find other parts of this course at the following links: Part 1: Introduction to Effective Seismic Design; Part 2: Seismic Design Concepts -- Moment Frames; Part 3: Seismic Design Concepts -- Braced Frames; Part 4: Seismic Design Concepts -- Buildings; Part 5: Application -- Design Example Setup; Part 7: Spplication -- Moment Frames; Part 8: Application -- Braced Frames.
- Date: 9/17/2018
- PDH Credits: 1.5
Rafael Sabelli, SE