In This Section
Structural Steel allows transportation terminals to overcome tight budget and schedule constraints while allowing for extraordinary architecture
For moving people from A to B, transportation terminals provide a vital role in modern infrastructure. As airports expand and metro rail transportation hubs continue to grow, municipalities increasingly want to deliver highly functional and safe facilities that not only provide economical solutions to taxpayers, but also create architectural icons. Steel brings a variety of benefits to transportation projects:
- Faster construction thanks to quick erection, which reduces overall on-site construction, labor and associated time and costs
- Long-lasting durability
- Innovative solutions such as cast connections
- Cost advantages due to lighter material and faster construction
- Flexible spaces thanks to long column-free areas, which can maximize natural light, as well as long cantilevers for canopies and atriums
- Architectural expression using curved steel offers endless possibilities
- Dramatic architecture using exposed steel, otherwise known as architecturally exposed structural steel (AESS)
Anaheim Regional Transportation Intermodal Center (ARTIC), Orange County, CA
Oakland International Airport (OAK) link to Bay Area Rapid Transit (BART), Oakland, CA
Miami International Airport Concourse J, Miami, FL
Still need help?
The Steel Solutions Center is for people who need technical assistance, innovative solutions, or tools to make structural steel design even easier.